Fist of Guthix Pros
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fist of Guthix Pros

Hi.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

good fight religion

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Incinerate07

good fight religion Empty
PostSubject: good fight religion   good fight religion I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 3:45 pm

P1: Nothing which exists can cause something which does not exist to begin existing.
P2: Given (1), Anything which begins to exist was not caused to do so by something which exists.
P3: The universe began to exist.
P4: Given (2) and (3), the universe was not caused to exist by anything which exists.
P5: God is defined as the entity that caused the universe to begin to exist.

C1: Given (4) and (5), God does not exist. Everything is a rearrangement of old matter/energy. Nothing truly begins to exist. In order for the theist to deny this line of reasoning, they must deny the ONLY reason for their god to exist.
Back to top Go down
Malixious
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro
Malixious

PostSubject: Re: good fight religion   good fight religion I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 4:59 pm

This argument works if you use Aquinas' definition of God, that being 'the uncaused cause'. But if we define God differently, say, as an entity not bound to the 'existence' that we can comprehend, it doesn't hold. God, by another definition, is beyond our understanding so any proof of its existence or non-existence is not solid.
Back to top Go down
dragoon 889
MOD
MOD
dragoon 889

PostSubject: Re: good fight religion   good fight religion I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 4:19 pm

Back to top Go down
jor6moin
P R O
P R O
jor6moin

PostSubject: Re: good fight religion   good fight religion I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 8:23 pm

Just to let you know, I'm Christian.
Back to top Go down
Incinerate07

PostSubject: Re: good fight religion   good fight religion I_icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 9:50 pm

Just to let you know, I'm polyatheist. There are many gods I don't believe in.
Back to top Go down
Malixious
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro
Malixious

PostSubject: Re: good fight religion   good fight religion I_icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 2:45 am

Whether you believe or not, the statement, 'God exists,' is either valid or not. You can believe in the tooth fairy, but that won't change the fact that it was your parents putting the money under your pillow. Or you can believe that neutrinos don't exist because you can't see them, and that won't change the fact that billions of them pass through your fingers every second.

Ignosticism FTW.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: good fight religion   good fight religion I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

good fight religion
Page 1 of 1